Ugh. Today is the first day of summer vacation, and my 14 year old is headed off to Valley Fair with a group of friends and no adults. I’m not going to lie. It’s a little nerve wracking. There are 10 of them going, so I decided to lay some ground rules for them to hear before they get out of the cars when we drop them off. Below is that list:
1. Never ever go anywhere alone.
2. Don’t leave one person while others go on rides. At least 2 stay back if someone doesn’t want to go.
3. They should each have a buddy they keep track of. 10 girls isn’t that many, but when you’re distracted and having fun, they aren’t as aware.
4. Learn where the security stations are in the park when you first get there.
5. Pick one spot in the park that you will go to is anyone get separated. If that happens, go there immediately and wait. Don’t separate group to go look. Just wait, and ask security for help looking if need be.
6. Lock up valuables when in the water park portion of the day, including phones.
7. See anything suspicious? Report it!
8. Drink lots of water
9. Wear sunscreen!
10. Lastly, check in via phone or text with mom or dad several times throughout the day so we know you are safe and having fun.
I want them to have a great time, but I’m not above reminding them to be careful.
my biggest concern is obviously sex trafficking. If you don’t realize it happens in broad day light in public places, you are fooling yourself. First day of summer vacation, distracted kids, crazy environment, warmer weather, it all contributes to braver perpetrators
kids, be safe, moms and dads educate, and everyone, have a great summer filled with fun and adventure!